Tastes of Trilogy – Summer Edition
Looking for inspiration in the kitchen this summer? The best chefs know that the secret to spectacular summer meals is preparing the freshest ingredients of the season in a way that feels light and refreshing.
Read on to discover the favorite summer recipes of Trilogy chefs in California, Arizona and Florida – where everyone appreciates keeping it cool in the kitchen when temperatures are on the rise. All of the recipes below require little to no time spent over a hot stove. Enjoy!
Favorite Summer Recipe of Executive Chef Ryan Freelove
Trilogy Orlando – Magnolia House
Created with inspiration and ingredients from local Lake Katherine Blueberry Farm and Plant City, Florida, the strawberry capital of the world
Ingredients for Salad:
- Mixed Greens (to include spinach and lollo rosa, frisse, and mizuna lettuce)
- 6 Grape Tomatoes
- ¼ Julienned Medium Red Onion
- 2 ounces Mandarin Oranges
- 2 ounces Fresh Blueberries
- 2 ounces Fresh Strawberries (quartered)
- 4 ounce Candied Pecans
- 2 ounces Cilantro Mint Dressing
Ingredients for Cilantro Mint Dressing:
- 1 cup Orange juice
- 2 ounces Unsweetened Plain Yogurt
- 2 ounces Honey
- 1 cup Mint
- 1 bunch Cilantro, washed
- 6 ounces White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp Dry mustard
- 1 qt Soybean oil
- Salt and Pepper
To prepare the dressing, place orange juice, yogurt, honey, mint and cilantro in a blender and blend until smooth. Combine orange juice mixture with the vinegar and mustards in a 4-qt container. In a steady stream, whisk all the soybean oil into the orange juice mixture and adjust seasoning to taste. In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients and toss lightly with dressing immediately before serving.
Note: A fun alternative to Croutons or the Candied Pecans in this dish is Indian Poppadoms. You can find them at your local Indian market and they can be grilled or broiled till crispy. They come in many flavors so you can try out different styles every time you make the salad.
To try more of Chef Ryan’s favorite recipes, call 352.557.3033 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make your reservations at The Grille at Magnolia House.
Favorite Summer Recipe of Executive Chef Charles Weber
Trilogy at Monarch Dunes – Adelina’s Bistro
This fresh grilled version of ratatouille vegetables complements meat, seafood and poultry.
- 1 lg fennel bulb (2 if small), trimmed to bulb plus 3 inches
- 1 med zucchini (wash and cut in half lengthwise)
- 1 med yellow squash (wash and cut in half lengthwise)
- 1 lg red onion (slice into half-inch thick rings)
- 1 med eggplant (remove half the skin, cut in ¾ inch thick slices)
- 1 lg red bell pepper (char whole on the grill, peel and seed)
- 1 lg yellow bell pepper (char whole on the grill, peel and seed)
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- olive oil as needed
- sprinkle of lavender blossoms (optional)
- sprinkle of pennel pollen (optional)
- 4 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp basil and/or tarragon, chopped
Prepare all vegetables as indicated above. Make sure you have a hot grill going and a clean grill grate. Note that the peppers can be charred before the vegetables go on, while the fire is very hot. For the zucchini, fennel and squash, put the cut side up, rub with olive oil, and season. For the onion and eggplant, rub both sides with oil and season. As an optional flavor booster, you may sprinkle vegetables with fennel pollen and/or lavender. Mark the first side on the vegetables (grill marks – from the hot grill), then flip to the other side. Grill the vegetables until they are tender but slightly firm. Cut the vegetables into 1/2″to 3/4″ dice and toss all together. Serve hot or cold – or anywhere in between. Serves 6 to 8 people as a vegetable accompaniment.
To try more of Chef Charles’ favorite recipes, call Adelina’s Bistro at 805.343.7510 to make your reservations.
Favorite Summer Recipe of Executive Chef Maricel Nauta
Trilogy at Vistancia – Kiva Club
Asian Infused Chicken Salad
A flavorful member favorite from the summer menu
Ingredients for Chicken Salad:
- 1 teaspoon of chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce
- ¼ cup of julienne green onion
- ¼ cup of julienne celery
- ¼ cup of julienne carrots
- 8 pieces of marinated chicken breast cooked and cut into strips (recipe for marinade follows)
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
Ingredients for Marinade:
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon of chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 8 pieces of whole chicken breast
Combine marinade ingredients together with a whisk. Marinate chicken for 4 hours. Grill chicken until fully cooked. Cool down and set aside.
Mix ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and sweet chili sauce with a whisk. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss. Transfer to a small pan and refrigerate until ready to use.
Optional Presentation: Using a wide rim bowl, place a handful of mixed spring greens in the center of the bowl. Top with a heaping scoop of Asian Infused Chicken Salad. Garnish with 8 pieces of canned mandarin oranges, 2 tablespoon of chow mein noodles, 6 pieces of lightly pan fried snow peas, ½ ounce of radish sprouts and a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
To try more of Chef Maricel’s favorite recipes, visit Café Solaz in the Kiva Club.
Favorite Summer Recipe of Executive Chef Brandon Smith
Encanterra Country Club – Bistro 1528
An amazingly refreshing summer dessert
- 6 egg yolks
- 1.5 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 oz espresso or strong coffee
- 1.5 oz Kahlua
- 2 oz dark chocolate
- 2 sheets parchment paper
First take parchment paper and fold to wrap around six ramekins, leaving 2 inches above collar of ramekin. Over a double boiler, whisk egg yolks, espresso, Kahlua and sugar until fluffy and cooked. (You’ll know it’s done when you drizzle it on itself and it leaves a trail.) Slowly whisk in chocolate. Allow this mixture to cool to room temperature. Once mixture is cooked, in a mixing bowl whip cream to stiff peaks. Slowly fold in whipped cream to the chocolate mixture. Pour mixture into ramekins about 1.5 inches above the top. Place in freezer over night…and enjoy!
To try more of Chef Brandon’s favorite recipes, call 480.677.8060 to make your reservations at Bistro 1528.
Another Favorite Summer Recipe of Executive Chef Ryan Freelove
Trilogy Orlando – Magnolia House
This refreshing summer drink is made with Organic Crop cucumber flavored vodka and fresh Florida lemonade.
- 1.5 ounce Crop Organic Cucumber Vodka
- 6 ounces Fresh Lemonade
Combine vodka and lemonade. Serve in a Collins glass over ice. Garnish with a fresh cucumber slice. Cheers!
To try more of Chef Ryan’s favorite summer drinks, call 352-557-3033 or email email@example.com to make your reservations at The Grille at Magnolia House.