In a recent survey of homebuyer preferences by the National Association of Home Builders, homebuyers are looking for energy efficiency in their new homes more than ever. As the first builder to offer a home that produces as much electricity as it uses as a national standard, Trilogy by Shea Homes has introduced SheaXero – The No Electric Bill Home™. Combining revolutionary, energy-efficient features and SolarCity® power system, SheaXero produces as much energy as it uses to meet this growing demand for green living.
The survey data found that almost 94 percent of homebuyers wanted appliances that were energy-star rated, and 89 percent wanted energy-star rated windows. SheaXero features energy-star rated appliances and windows, and many more energy-efficient features, including:
- Solar Power System. The Solar Power System in SheaXero homes generates clean, renewable energy that saves money and offsets your home’s consumption to help get to net-zero electric. While other active adult builders may tout offering a 2-kilowatt solar system, SheaXero starts at 3 kilowatts minimum. Having a high quality Solar Power System can reduce your electric bills, as well as increase your home’s value over time.
- Dual-Pane, Low-E Vinyl Windows. SheaXero’s Dual-Pane, Low-E vinyl windows let in visible light, while minimizing heat transmission and improving comfort. The special coating on the glass allows for heat to stay outside in the hotter months, and cold air to stay outside in the cooler months. The vinyl frames for the windows also offer superior insulation.
- Jenn-Air® Energy Star® Appliances. Jenn-Air® Energy Star® Appliances are the technological leader in performance kitchen appliances with countless product patents, exclusive features and industry-firsts. In addition. the appliances use 40% less energy than required by federal standards.
- Trane® Energy-Efficient HVAC System. The Trane® energy-efficient HVAC system is submitted through a thorough testing program, assuring homeowners that they are purchasing a top-of-the-line HVAC system for their home. The technology in the Trane systems is designed to achieve maximum efficiency, reliability and comfort, including special Trane ComfortLink technology, which allows the heating and cooling systems to communicate with each other in real time. The system also runs its own self-diagnostics to ensure the proper airflow for heating and cooling modes, as well as the correct heat source configuration and blower timings.
- Blown-in Wall Insulation. Shea Homes’ blown-in wall insulation fills every gap with a floor-to-ceiling thermal blanket made from recycled cellulose. This high quality insulation helps regulate temperatures in the drastic winter and summer months, reducing a major reason for energy loss. This type of insulation’s capacity to prevent heat or cold from moving throughout the house is far more consistent than other insulations. Not only does this help limit heating and cooling costs, but it also resists moisture, reduces noise and preserves natural resources, adding to the efficiency of your home.
- Insulated and Sealed Ducts & Draft Reductive Construction. Sealed ducts reduce air loss from your HVAC system making it more energy efficient, and tight construction means less leakage and higher energy efficiency.
- Insulated Garage Doors. Offering the highest level of insulation and the least effort to maintain, SheaXero’s garage doors are a superior value.
- Digital Programmable Thermostat. The digital programmable thermostat automatically adjusts your home’s temperature for more efficient operation.
- CFL Bulbs. Compact fluorescent light bulbs are used in place of less efficient incandescent bulbs, maximizing your energy use over time.
- Occupancy Sensor Switches. SheaXero’s occupancy sensor switches automatically turns on lights with motion so you waste less electricity.
- Dimmer Switches. The dimmer switches control lighting intensity, allowing for you to determine the amount of energy to use for lighting at various times.
Homebuyers in the survey also expressed concern over the cost of energy-efficient homes, stating that they would pay about $7,100 extra for a home to reduce their annual energy bills by $1,000. While other homebuilders tout their solar system, insulation, energy-efficient lighting and/or Energy Star-rated appliances that come at an additional cost, SheaXero’s premier 14 energy-efficient features come standard at no extra cost to homebuyers. This can amount to a retail value of almost $40,000! In addition, SheaXero homes can save homeowners up to $3,000 a year by eliminating monthly electricity bills.
Take it from SheaXero homeowners Paul and Lavone Oldale. They enjoy the money they save from not having to pay an electric bill by travel around the world to far off places like South Africa, Antarctica and more. “I have friends that pay up to $400 in the summer for their electric bill, and mine has been next to nothing,” said Paul. “For anyone who’s on the fence about getting a SheaXero home, I’d tell them to look and consider long and hard before living anywhere else. That is huge savings.”
Don’t miss out on SheaXero’s savings, and experience the SheaXero difference yourself at one of our beautiful active lifestyle resort communities. Visit the Trilogy website or call 800.685.6494 to find out more information about
Please note that homes in our Washington and Florida communities offer SheaXero as an option. Call us today to find out more about Trilogy and Shea Homes’ energy-efficient programs at one of our luxurious, 55+ community near you.