5 Summer Farm to Grill Recipes
Summer is here, and we’re ready to fire up the grill for tender steaks, savory chicken, and skewered shrimp. And let’s not forget the bounty of fresh crops that the summer sun brings to our farmers markets and produce aisles. From starters to sides to sweet desserts, the fruits and vegetables of summer can add spectacular flavor and color to your plate. This month, spice up your grilling routine and explore new recipes using the freshest ingredients of the season. We’ve pinned some of our favorite, and invite you to do the same.
All of the recipes below have been posted on fabulous cooking blogs, so feel free to click the accompanying links to discover even more recipes for your summer dinner table, or pin the recipe to your Pinterest account so you can remember to buy the ingredients during your next grocery shopping trip.
Caprese Quinoa Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms with Balsamic Glaze
Recipe courtesy of HalfBakedHarvest.com
- 12 baby portobello mushrooms or 2 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, diced
- 1//3 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves, sliced or chopped
- 3 tablespoon good + fruity extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Balsamic Glaze
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Add vinegar and brown sugar to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very low simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until liquid reduces by about half and is slightly syrupy.
- Remove from heat, pour vinegar in a bowl or glass, and set aside to cool and thicken.
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat.
- Toss the mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Place the mushrooms stem side up directly on the grill for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the grill and dump any liquid that is in the caps.
- While the mushrooms are grilling, toss the quinoa, tomatoes, mozzarella and basil together in a medium size bowl. Add the remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the mushrooms are ready, stuff each mushroom with the caprese quinoa. Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet and place back on the grill for 1 minute to warm the cheese.
- Serve with a drizzle of the balsamic glaze and fresh black pepper.
Grilled Corn with Spicy Cilantro Lime Butter
Recipe courtesy of PipandEbby.com
- 4 ears of corn, husks removed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lime wedges
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Place corn cobs on the grill and cook for 10-15 minutes, rotating often.
- In a medium bowl, combine mayo, butter, Parmesan cheese, cilantro, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spread the butter over the corn cobs. Squeeze limes over each cob, serve, and enjoy!
Grilled Vegetable Pizza
Recipe courtesy of JellyToast.com Ingredients:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, part skim
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of Italian seasoning
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 1 ear of sweet corn, husk removed
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb store-bought or homemade pizza dough
- flour for rolling
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, cut into strips
- Add ricotta, garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to a small bowl. Mix, then set aside.
- Preheat a grill to high heat. Brush onions and corn with olive oil, then place in a grill pan and cook, flipping repeatedly, until veggies are cooked and slightly charred. Remove pan from the grill and allow veggies to cool slightly. Using a sharp knife or corn kernel stripper, cut corn kernels off the cobs.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll out pizza dough to a 12-14 inch circle (or other desired shape). Transfer to the grill and cook, flipping once until pizza dough is golden brown and cooked through (about 6-8 minutes total). Remove from the grill.
- Top your crust with ricotta mixture, grilled veggies, sliced tomatoes and shredded mozzarella. Return pizza to the grill and close the cover, cooking for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and toppings are warmed through.
- Remove pizza from the grill, top with basil, and enjoy.
Grilled Eggplant Rollatini
Recipe courtesy of CulinaryGinger.com
- 3 eggplants
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive oil
- 1½ cups homemade ricotta
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Freshly grated nutmeg (about 30 runs across a grater)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your grill.
- Slice eggplants lengthwise to yield 12 slices total. Salt the eggplant slices and let them sit for 20 minutes.
- Dry the eggplant slices and brush with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Grill the eggplant for about 5 minutes per side until cooked with grill marks. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Add the ricotta, basil, lemon zest, parmesan and nutmeg to a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Lay the eggplant slices out on a work surface and add a few tablespoons of the ricotta mixture to the end closest to you.
- Roll the ricotta into the eggplant and secure with a toothpick. Serve warm with tomato sauce.
Grilled Stone Fruit with Almond Mascarpone Dip
Recipe courtesy of DessertforTwo.com Ingredients:
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Assorted stone fruit: peaches, plums, and apricots
- In a small bowl, stir together the mascarpone, almond extract, and 2 tablespoons of the honey. Scoop into a serving bowl.
- Add the sliced almonds and granulated sugar to a skillet. Cook over medium heat until the sugar caramelizes and the almonds clump together. Scrape the mixture onto a non-stick sheet of parchment paper and let cool. Break into pieces when cool.
- Slice the stone fruits in half, and preheat your grill to high. Place the fruit cut-side down on a sheet of non-stick foil on the surface of the grill grates.
- Grill for about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Move the fruit to a serving platter, place the dip on the plate and sprinkle with almonds and extra honey.